We offer a gazetteer of the United States that may prove useful to both professional and amateur cartographers and geographers, as well as armchair cartophiles.
Description of the Data
The data is provided in compressed ".zip" format. After decompressing, the resultant file consists of a comma-separated value (CSV) file, with each record separated by commas, terminated by a carriage return and linefeed.
Each record contains:
- Name of the geographic feature
- Category of the geographic feature
- State (2-letter abbreviation) of the geographic feature
- County name of the geographic feature
- The latitude of the of the geographic feature
- The longitude of the of the geographic feature
- The geographical feature's elevation (in feet)
- The name of the USGS topographical map for the geographic feature
"Category" will be from a list of 64 categories:
"State" is the two-letter abbreviation of the U.S. state, per ANSI standard INCITS 38:2009.
- Populated Place
- Post Office
"Latitude" and "longitude" are in decimal values, to seven decimal places.
"Latitude" is expressed as a positive value for a location north of the equator (i.e., "north latitude"); and expressed as a negative value south of the equator ("south latitude").
"Longitude" is expressed as a positive value east of the prime meridian ("east longitude") and expressed as a negative value west of the prime meridian ("west longitude").
Here is a sample line from the database:
Pricing of the Data
The pricing is a flat US$9.99 per dataset.
Delivery of the Data
You will be provided a password-protected web address from which you can download your chosen dataset. The link will be active for fourteen (14) days from the date of purchase.
Ready to order?
To begin the order process: